Mini ringers

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
motman

Mini ringers

#1 Post by motman » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:40 am

Am I the only one getting sick of seeing Mk1 and Mk2 Minis for sale on a well known auction site that are clearly ringers?
The amount of cars claimed to be "re shelled" that have had little more than the reg plates and VIN tags swapped over is alarming.
Its common to see a sixties Mini with internal hinges, wind up windows, fuel injection, late clubman style dash and seats with headrests!
Why are the Police not taking action? :?

Mitsuru

Re: Mini ringers

#2 Post by Mitsuru » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:32 pm

I think it is a generation thing! Those that were police 10 plus years ago and back to
the 80's when the original mini was being made knew what they were looking at, partly
I think because they had more contact with them. Now it's a different car entirely that
has the mini badge. So they have no idea when they look at the original minis what is
what unless they are really into cars.

Well that is my theory anyway.
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

bnicho

#3 Post by bnicho » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:17 am

Some of those ringers are being aimed at the export markets. For example Australia and the US where it's difficult or expensive to bring in a 90's Mini. Far easier to call it a sixties Mini and bring it in under the radar. I have seen five or six examples of cars like this on Aussie roads.
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

Pilkie

#4 Post by Pilkie » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:51 am

Heres one ive reported at least 4 times so far!
A blatant attempt at fraud!
The seller has not replied to my polite but to the point message,so he obviously knows what he is doing is illegal!
The more report it the better!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201044154800? ... EBIDX%3AIT
I have now reported it the the DVLA!
My current fleet!
1971 S2 Rover P6V8 auto,PAS,leather,webasto,14" rostyles,in White/huntsman.
My daily driver since 1999.
1970 Triumph TR6pi,original UK car in Damson.
1968 S1 Rover P6V8 auto,2 owner/43k miles,Arden with sandalwood leather.

tractorman

#5 Post by tractorman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:16 am

Pilkie wrote:Heres one ive reported at least 4 times so far!
A blatant attempt at fraud!
The seller has not replied to my polite but to the point message,so he obviously knows what he is doing is illegal!
The more report it the better!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201044154800? ... EBIDX%3AIT
I have now reported it the the DVLA!
At least five times now!

rich.

#6 Post by rich. » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:30 am

looking at the parts it seems only the plates & wheels could be from the 60s :lol:

does this make me an anorak?? :oops:

mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

#7 Post by mr rusty » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:56 pm

This also afflicts Triumphs, where it would appear that the MkII Vitesse convertible is still in production, and also landrovers. In the case of Triumphs, given the nut'n'bolt construction, and i suppose it's the same with Landrovers, you can build more or less whatever you like from a commision plate and a V5 provided it hasn't been marked as scrapped by DVLA.

My car is the less desireable non-rotoflex Mk1 Vitesse so they don't suffer so much from cloning but in theory I could totally destroy it and create a replica and nobody would be the wiser!
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.