Two year MOTs

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
toyotalover

Two year MOTs

#1 Post by toyotalover » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:26 am

Did I here that there were plans to make classic mots every two years?
i read all the mags if i get a chance. One of them was on about really old stuff not needing a test.
Have i got the wrong end of two sticks?

suffolkpete

Re: Two year MOTs

#2 Post by suffolkpete » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:51 pm

My recollection is that there were proposals to test new cars after four years, not three as at present, and then every two years thereafter and also to exempt pre-1965 vehicles from testing altogether. Nothing much has been heard about either recently, so it may have been kicked into the long grass.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

toyotalover

#3 Post by toyotalover » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:33 pm

that sounds like it.
the mot always comes round quick but im not sure that two years between is good either.
Pre 65's without mots sounds dangerous but it would cut down on the old yearly bills.
Thanks

SEE YA

#4 Post by SEE YA » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:29 pm

I would still get my classic's done each year, just to be safe.
EVERY MILE IS A SMILE

rich.

#5 Post by rich. » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:10 am

france its mot every 2 years, ive not killed anyone.

bnicho

#6 Post by bnicho » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:54 am

We only have them when the car changes hands or when ordered to by the Police.

You can drive your car for 30+ years without an RWC (MOT) provided the Police don't find anything to complain about.

Pity the poor saps in New Zealanad, they have a test every six months!

I reckon two or three years is reasonable.
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

mark912

#7 Post by mark912 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:00 pm

The Problem with a no MOT for older cars is this..

If your like me and have a 100% track record with my MOT man for the last 8 ( 11 gosh how time flys just checked my MOT book ) years and my 7 classic cars. EG they are kept right up togeather like alot of us active Classic owners that's perfectly good.. I would personly prefur to have a brake test at the very least and I am happy to pay for that.

The problem is this..

In some peoples eyes it's still runs therefore it's safe!!

nothing wrong in running a classic on a budget and keeping it going.. but really an MOT even a very basic test is still needed in my view point.. on a costs basis that's me £350 a year better off .. but worth every penny in my eyes , to know it's good to go.

RangerNeil

#8 Post by RangerNeil » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:16 pm

If the owner is legally liable for any issues resulting from a vehicle that is unsafe there should not be a problem. In fact - in our circles it can make owners even more maintenance aware. Two of my vehicles are actually MOT exempt - one because it is fully tracked and the other because it is permanent 6x6 and cannot go through an MOT testing station for this and other reasons. Both get rigorous maintenance check at regular intervals, full services every year and thorough checks before taking on the road.
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469
1957 AEC Militant Mk 1 6x6 Ten tonner
1974 Landrover 109" FFR Series 3

Majicmark

#9 Post by Majicmark » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:28 pm

I am personally against two year testing. I am a tester & a classic car owner & although i,like many of you maintain my cars with my own & others safety in mind unfortunately some owners don't.
A good example of this was a 1947 Vauxhall 14 that i Mot'd the other day. This had been bought by the current owner a year ago & looked perfect from the top ( a real show winner). When i got under the car it was a different story.
The front half of the chassis was a separate unit that bolts to the body just behind the rear doors & the rear chassis is an integral part of the body, where the two join there is a number of bolts securing the two. Some unscrupulous person had patched the join to cover the fact that there was no inner sill/chassis left around the bolts. This time for Mot the rust had spread past the bodge & the two halves could break apart if caught wrong or involved in an RTA. So although i dont like paying each year for the test (yes i too have to pay) i think it is required to stop this sort of thing from happening. Luckily for this customer (not the failure or the bill they are going to incur) they found out about the problem before someone got injured or worst still killed.

SirTainleyBarking

#10 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:04 am

Corrosion especially can catch you out very quickly unless you're under the vehicle every couple of weeks.

Case 1: Nissan Sunny coupe, passed the MOT with only minor stuff (Track rod end and a couple of minor bulbs). 11 months later (unfortunately a wet year so didn't get much under time), looking to book the next MOT, had a good look over. The idea being any bits that needed doing I could do in plenty of time. Rotted inner wings. Taken straight off the road after I changed my trousers, even though in the eyes of plod (on paper) I could have still driven it

Case 2: The Disco. Bit of minor surface corrosion on one of the seat belt mountings in the rear wheel arch (a bit of peeling underseal so I thought) stood up to a few good thumps, so I believed it was solid. Thought I'd tidy it up before winter, so attacked it with an electric drill and a scotchbrite disk. Ended up replacing a 6x6" piece to fix that one, as the vibration just made it crumble.

Yes I keep my vehicles looked after, but a second pair of eyes and a decent vehicle lift are worth the hassle once a year
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner