A chance to bring back tax exemption!

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
JPB

Re: A chance to bring back tax exemption!

#11 Post by JPB » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:07 pm

rich. wrote:
maph2 wrote:if any change oocurs, it will mostly likely try to bring the UK in line with other EU countries, eg France. I don't favour that!
why? we have mot every 2 years, no road tax, & cheaper car insurance...empty roads wines not bad either
Yeah yeah, now cut to the chase please; how many nice single women are there in France and do they go for large, bald blokes with odd taste in cars? :oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

maph2

#12 Post by maph2 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:06 am

rich. wrote:
maph2 wrote:if any chnage oocurs, it will mostly likely try to bring the UK in line with other EU countries, eg France. I don't favour that!
why? we have mot every 2 years, no road tax, & cheaper car insurance...empty roads wines not bad either

errmm..... in france you have to pre-register your historic vehicle if you are planning to travel outside your department of registration. this will only get worse in time. you only have to see the limitations of on car modifying to knwo that.
Matt

'67 Covin 911 narrow body
'72 Morris Mini Clubman - 1998c 16v redtop

Coventry MotoFest, 3rd-4th June 2016, http://www.coventrymotofest.com
RetroWarwick car show, Sunday 14th August 2016, http://www.retrowarwick.co.uk

JPB

#13 Post by JPB » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:40 am

maph2 wrote:........ in france you have to pre-register your historic vehicle if you are planning to travel outside your department of registration. this will only get worse in time. you only have to see the limitations of on car modifying to knwo that.
And there's a great argument against trying to rock the boat where free VED in the UK is concerned!
"Cuddly" Ken's promise might not be kept by the present Tory Government, but at least they're too busy screwing up everything else to think about legislating owners of classics off the roads.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#14 Post by rich. » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:42 am

JPB wrote:
rich. wrote:
maph2 wrote:if any change oocurs, it will mostly likely try to bring the UK in line with other EU countries, eg France. I don't favour that!
Yeah yeah, now cut to the chase please; how many nice single women are there in France and do they go for large, bald blokes with odd taste in cars? :oops:
:lol: :lol: i found one so im sure you have every chance :lol: :lol: :lol:

as for registering to go outsider the department i think that applies to vehicles with a classic mot. those with a full mot are free to go where they like.. i live on the border of 4 departments & regularly see old cars from other depts on the road.

mark912

#15 Post by mark912 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:05 pm

My view is, it would be nice sure but I don't want to rock the boat and as 6 of my classic are Tax free shhhhhhhh :lol:

But then they get used little and when they do, they are taken to shows and events and charity work to earn their rightfull place on the roads in their retirement of a few 1000's or less miles ayear on the summer roads!! :D

RangerNeil

#16 Post by RangerNeil » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:18 pm

I see no problems in this - if they re-introduce the rolling cut off all they need to do is insist the vehicles have classic insurance policies which generally carry a mileage limitation.
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469
1957 AEC Militant Mk 1 6x6 Ten tonner
1974 Landrover 109" FFR Series 3

1960Zody

#17 Post by 1960Zody » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:03 am

RangerNeil wrote:I see no problems in this - if they re-introduce the rolling cut off all they need to do is insist the vehicles have classic insurance policies which generally carry a mileage limitation.
That's fine, if you don't choose to use your 'Classic' as a daily driver.
If a rolling exemption were to be brought in that would mean that vehicles from 1981 would currently be exempt.
There are many people in the 'Retro' community who have 30 year old vehicles that are used on a daily basis.
You would need an 'Exemption' from the Historic vehicle class for anyone who doesn't want to have the vehicle parked up in a garage for 60% of the year.

Add into that the statement by the FBHVC and FIVA definiton of what a historic vehicle is and you end up with a whole new can of worms.

The 'Free' road tax for historic vehicles has actually brought about more problems than it was intended to.

JPB

#18 Post by JPB » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:09 am

1960Zody wrote:
RangerNeil wrote:I see no problems in this - if they re-introduce the rolling cut off all they need to do is insist the vehicles have classic insurance policies which generally carry a mileage limitation.
That's fine, if you don't choose to use your 'Classic' as a daily driver.
If a rolling exemption were to be brought in that would mean that vehicles from 1981 would currently be exempt.
There are many people in the 'Retro' community who have 30 year old vehicles that are used on a daily basis.
You would need an 'Exemption' from the Historic vehicle class for anyone who doesn't want to have the vehicle parked up in a garage for 60% of the year.

Add into that the statement by the FBHVC and FIVA definiton of what a historic vehicle is and you end up with a whole new can of worms.

The 'Free' road tax for historic vehicles has actually brought about more problems than it was intended to.
I agree with every word of the above. "If it ain't broke", etc. ;)
J

maph2

#19 Post by maph2 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:58 am

reintroducing the rolling cut off will mean a complete redefining of the what the govt sees as "historic" in the UK. at the moment its means unlimited use and free road tax for pre 73 cars. what will probably happen, as others have stated is that any old-ish car could be defined as historic, but mileage/usage will be severly limited or journeys will have to be pre-booked.

stop whinging and stop rocking the boat........
Matt

'67 Covin 911 narrow body
'72 Morris Mini Clubman - 1998c 16v redtop

Coventry MotoFest, 3rd-4th June 2016, http://www.coventrymotofest.com
RetroWarwick car show, Sunday 14th August 2016, http://www.retrowarwick.co.uk

suffolkpete

#20 Post by suffolkpete » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:52 am

maph2 wrote:stop whinging and stop rocking the boat........
That's all very well if you're already in the boat :)
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6