What vehicles did your friends parents drive?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
mahone

Re: What vehicles did your friends parents drive?

#11 Post by mahone » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:29 am

One friend's glamorous mum always had a new Spitfire: she was a hairdresser, naturally. His dad had to make do with a tatty Mk3 Cortina. The local vet had a bright yellow TR7, but the best was a mate whose family ran the local garage and seemingly used the customer cars as their own private taxi fleet. We got ferried to cubs in all manner of things - from a Ford Anglia to a Jag Mk 10 - and also an E type. I think the XJS had just come out - and I remember thinking the E type was a bit of an old banger...

52classic

#12 Post by 52classic » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:26 pm

Not so much my friends' parents but my parent's friends....... Most memorable was a near neighbour Des Tilley who had a Landcrab and 2.5p.i. (not at the same time) which he ran in the Mexico and Sydney Marathon rallies. Not sure which in which though.

ecurie

#13 Post by ecurie » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:45 pm

In the 70's my best friends father drove a red Matra Djet and somewhat later another friends mother owned a brown XJ-S.
Luckily, I also had friends whose parents drove "lesser" cars than us, so I didn't have to be jealous all of the time.
At random, there were a Datsun 120Y, Datsun 100A, Citroen Ami and a Mazda 1500 (altough I now find it quite cool).

vintagemotor

#14 Post by vintagemotor » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:39 pm

My best mate at primary school, his Dad had a blue Morris 1100 and my best mate at secondary school, his dad had a Scimitar GTE Se6a.
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena"

johnc

#15 Post by johnc » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:22 pm

Back in the 50's when I was at primary school car ownership in my neighbourhood was virtually nil,only one of my friend's father had a car,a Ford V8 Pilot,a massive beast of car.We all thought he was a millionaire or a bank robber. :lol:

tractorman

#16 Post by tractorman » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:10 pm

The first one I remember was a very early Minor MM convertible. I think one of Mother's uncles paid for it as father needed a car for work (he was a curate at the time), I'd be about two then and we sold it with a very rusty floor when I was five or six ('58/9). I remember the family setting off to the seaside on a glorious day with the hood down and the weather changing to downpour, so coming home without the side screens wasn't fun!

When I was five or six, father bought a Reliant van - the one with the motorbike front fork/wheel. It had no floor, so a friend suggested the new wonder stuff - chipboard! He forgot to screw the passenger seat down when fixing it. He discovered that when he let the clutch out too quickly - the Archdeacon went flying into the back! We only had the van a year or so and cashed it and the MM in for a Minor Traveller.

A pair of Travellers followed (803 split screen then a 948 of '61 vintage), both failing due to rust thanks to our new parish being on the edge of the Solway, where the high tides often covered the roads. A Herald (61) followed and I first learnt to drive in that (officially - I actually learned in an A55-style pick up on a friend's farm) and a 61 Victor FB followed that -then I bought my own car (a 65 Wolseley Hornet) as the engine blew on the Victor and we needed a car urgently! I passed my test in the Hornet in 1971 - and suddenly feel old!

Apparently, the first car I went in was a VW Beetle that my parents hired when we moved from Barrow (where I was born) to Carlisle in/about 1954. The way I'm not putting miles on the Golf suggest that a VW may be the last car I drive!

rich.

#17 Post by rich. » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:21 am

mostly rusty unreliable ones ....

Ridgeback

#18 Post by Ridgeback » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:50 am

Our neighbour used to take us all to primary school,in his silver DS Safari
There was something truly magical as the 'Silver spaceship' rose up in the air when he started it! :D

TRV8

#19 Post by TRV8 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:00 pm

Ones that come to mind are:-
XJ6
Marina 1.3 super
Rover SD1
Princess 2200HLS
1275GT Mini
Jeff Uren Mk3 Savage Cortina Estate even remember the number plate on that LAB 550K
Mk1 Cortina
Mk2 Cortina
Vauxhall Viscount
Viva HB
Capri 3000GXL
Lancia Beta
Lancia Gamma
Citroen DS

Trev

SirTainleyBarking

#20 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:12 pm

Round the Midlands, the weapons of choice were

Austin Morris 1100's
Triumph Heralds
Austin Maxi's
Landrovers (Well the factory wasn't far away)
Simca 1100's
Hillman Imps
and loads of Mini Clubman estates
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner