Anyone here have their cars in an "agency"?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
OneCarefulOwner

Anyone here have their cars in an "agency"?

#1 Post by OneCarefulOwner » Tue May 22, 2012 2:56 pm

I've been looking at how much use I'm getting out of my cars, and while I'm happy to do the events I've chosen for the year, there's a hell of a lot of dead time where they're not getting out & about, so I'm considering the idea of renting/hiring. However, I know that there's a ridiculous amount of paperwork & fees involved if you do it privately, so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or recommendations for some kind of "automotive talent agency" type deal, where I could register my car & let them handle all the hassle for a cut of the rental fees?
…that's why Allegro will look as good 5 years from now as it does today.
If I was allowed a sigpic, this would be it
Twitter | Blog | DropBox

bnicho

Re: Anyone here have their cars in an "agency"?

#2 Post by bnicho » Tue May 22, 2012 11:21 pm

PC did an article on this a long tiome ago, when they had an ex-Police SD1 "Jam Sandwich". That Rover was used in a movie and I can recall it came back filthy and with some paint damage where they removed the stickers. It was all put right by the hire company, but it was a hassle just the same.

I have my cars with a local agency and they have been used a couple of times as street dressing. I have the right to refuse the job if I'm not happy with the way the car will be used. Good money and no hassles at all. I've recommended that company to several people and they have had positive experiences also.

I had a call from them last week wanting my Beetle for an advert for an airline. I don't know if that is still happening as the production company are very disorganised. The agency is not very impressed with being messed about!

Cheers,
Brett.
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

rovamota

#3 Post by rovamota » Wed May 23, 2012 8:32 pm

Most production companies just Google specific cars now and go direct to an owner or through an owners club to get a car. I've done it several times with my car as production companies have contacted me directly. Made a few quid out of it, too. I was asked to do a Hovis advert recently but I just couldn't be arsed to drive to Liverpool as I live in the South of England.

Kev.

OneCarefulOwner

#4 Post by OneCarefulOwner » Sat May 26, 2012 10:54 am

Fair enough; my car's been used in the mag & by the military police both thanks to the owners' club, so I guess that's where I'll stay for now - and it's not like I can't be noticed while driving around if anyone local wants to ask :)
…that's why Allegro will look as good 5 years from now as it does today.
If I was allowed a sigpic, this would be it
Twitter | Blog | DropBox

bnicho

#5 Post by bnicho » Sun May 27, 2012 11:46 pm

You may find some of the agencies are free to list your car with, so it only costs a few minutes of your time to upload some words and pictures.

Personally I would not bother with any that require the car's owner to pay a fee to list a car.

In case any Aussies are interested, the agency I use is this one:

http://www.maxactionvehicles.com.au/

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

Dave3066

#6 Post by Dave3066 » Mon May 28, 2012 3:31 pm

I was approached at a recent rally by a guy representing Action Vehicle Agency wanting to know if my white Rover 2000 might be available for a film scene being shot not too far from me. Seemed a nice enough chap and they pay £250 a day for the car. Covered by insurance etc.

Seems like easy money if you can get it......and provided nothing goes wrong!

Dave
1966 Rover P6 2000 SC - in daily use and running like a dream
1972 Rover P6 3500S currently undergoing surgery
1965 Rover P5 3 litre Coupe - long term project