Allegro New owner heven forbid..

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
mark912

Allegro New owner heven forbid..

#1 Post by mark912 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:52 am

Well i never thought I would say it but I am the owner of an Allegro :oops:

Why?

Well I am still not 100% sure. Being a Brummy and my Dad being one of the engineers at Lucas and being involved with the parts to the car. Plus the fact that we had about 8 of them with my Dad's 30% off the list price for employie discount ment we were one of the few that made money on our Allegro's a year later. Infavour of a you guest it... Another Allegro all that changed was the colour and the odd bit here and there..

So when it was put upon me to buy one I stuttered and then thought why not..

So apart from Saving the old girl from being cubed its not a bad car.. I am a collector of German metal so to have some thing as humble as the Allegro I am either embarised to open the door to the work shop and it's still there to it's a great little car..

anyway how many do you still see about the place and esp how many Estate Allegro's do you see about.. not many. Esp with only 48K on the clock and in very good condition so here she is..

What I will ask is where's the best place to get parts.. I have been chasing a few on ebay.. I need two seat belts for the front as they do not lock when pulled quickly so how this got an MOT i will never know as it's done 200 miles since the last one :shock:

mark912

Re: Allegro New owner heven forbid..

#2 Post by mark912 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:57 am

What I am after is..

Some paint to touch up the arches and keep it tidy I need to make sure I can get the metal fake the same as it's a large metal flake on that..rattle cans from shops ( if they did them ) will be small metal flakes I recon and will not match the same..

Service parts

What oil ?? 20/50??

and I think the bottom of the rad has a leak so will take it out to have a look at it..

Now I have to say to join the Allegro owners club for me would be just a step too far.. sorry but I just can't go that far. Save a rare ish car yes join the club no no.. I am a memeber of some other German motor clubs and sorry just can't do that..

mark912

#3 Post by mark912 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:35 am

oh the bonnet and front wings have taken me about 3hours to bring up that good.. I will follow the rest of the car in time but it's a 4-5 stage process to get that far..

G6
Clay bar
G10
Hand Wax
P21S Wax

= worn out 40 year old and only 20 % of the car done :lol:

Joloke

#4 Post by Joloke » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:17 am

Great looking car ;)
Ive never been fussed with allegros but i often here said thesedays they are not as bad as we would of had believed in the past :roll:

I think the estates have become really interesting with age and im guessing are really practical with the rear seat down?

Just in case you didnt know the colour is BL "Reynard" i had a Mini Clubman in the same shade 10 years ago :D

If you do get rattle cans or paint for a gun for that matter the proper Automotive Paint Factors can useually do a good match ;)

Steer clear of halfords and motorworld for paint there allways miles im sure its mixed by Stevie Wonder

Jodie :)

mark912

#5 Post by mark912 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:28 am

thank you that is VERY helpful I was going to pop to Auto paints or the one in Portsmouth that do mix a good match.. I want to paint under the arches to orginal and touch up the arches as well..I guess it's celi paint on the car?

as I will have to watch that as I was about to buy 2pk?

at least having a name will get me a head of the game so I thank you for that :D

yeah I think the estate is a decent car.. NO way would have I bought it if it was a saloon.. only reason was because I have to say I think the Estate looks better and also it's prob quite rare now ... any one now many Estates are about??

JPB

#6 Post by JPB » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:47 am

Nice Allegro, and estates always seem much less commonly available in straight condition than the saloons.
It won't have been painted with cellulose when new, most stuff from the '60s on is 2-pack but for touching in small areas it won't matter what you use.
Halfords are, in spite of some folks' experiences, capable of mixing very good matches. They did me some BL Sienna for the Dolomite and it really isn't possible to distinguish the areas where I used it. They refund in full and make you a free batch if the colour should be a bit off, so there's no risk involved with buying paint there when nobody else can find the correct formula. ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

mark912

#7 Post by mark912 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:18 pm

As there are so little Estates about it's hard to come up with a value for the car. I have seen a later one for sale but needs work for project money ( not MOT ) etc. This is a really nice orginal with only some welding to the front valance Common anyway. I have seen a really nice Saloon in the same colour as mine and only 18k on the clock but that is a shocking £4750 :shock: in my view a tidy car like that is worth say £3500 at a guess I thinking my car being an Estate is worth £2500 poss abit more I don't know. Just some feed back would be good.

I have to say I have two options on the car..

One is to carry on the tidy up of the car and keep it for a while and offer it to Beaulie for display don't think they have an Estate car up there?

Two is to sell the car on to some one who can carry on loving the car and take it to some shows and enjoy it..?

I have to say I only bought it to save it and because it's an Estate car..

CompoSimmonite

#8 Post by CompoSimmonite » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:27 pm

Many years ago when our everyday car "died" I bought a pair of Allegro's for £70 off someone I knew as a stop gap. One scruffy 1500HLS with MOT but cracked block and a nice 1750HLS without MOT but good engine. The idea was swop engines but sealant cured the leak so had several months of motoring until MOT expired.
I liked them so much I did consider restoring the one without MOT but lack or repair panels stopped that. In the end I searched locally for a decent 1300 Allegro but every one I viewed had started to deteriate so in the end bought a 10,000 mile Capri 1600LS :)
I always thought the estate was the best looking version and I'd gladly have another.

Paul H

mark912

#9 Post by mark912 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:30 pm

does any one know if you can get a replacement front valance as my one has rust on it and I would like to change it..

rich.

#10 Post by rich. » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:41 pm

great little cars!!