Hints and tips - rust removal.

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
M Paul Lloyd

Hints and tips - rust removal.

#1 Post by M Paul Lloyd » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:31 pm

A specific section that is... you don't have one. :?

Probably just as well but incase it might be of interest (assuming no-one else already knows) I would like to suggest a rust removing solution that you can make yourself for minimal cost which is really effective, and entirely safe.

You can achieve this oxide removing nirvana by mixing Harpic and Fizzy Cola (any brand will do) in 50-50 proportions. It keeps well and works fast, trust me, indeed it is so good that it is the preferred method where I work.....mostly because I get left over Coke from the night shift so costs are kept low, but honestly it is excellent. ;)
May the light at the end of your long dark tunnel not be a train travelling the other way.
http://sciencefocus.com/forum/index.php ... e0b9d88e25

tractorman

Re: Hints and tips - rust removal.

#2 Post by tractorman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:32 am

I've been led to believe that proper Coke-Cola no longer has phosphoric acid in it. This is the major element in colas' success as a rust remover.

Mind you, I wouldn't be surprised to find the replacement ingedient is much more harmful if drunk in quantity! Having once worked where they made the acid for a major brand, I was a little surprised to see just how nasty fairly strong Phosphoric acid is - the firm won a contract to supply the acid and put new storage tanks up. I spent a very cold December afternoon on top of them commissioning a flowmeter and level sensor.

M Paul Lloyd

#3 Post by M Paul Lloyd » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:37 pm

I have been told that it turns the ferrous oxide into a phosphate, but when mixed with Harpic the Coke actually removes the rust right down to the metal. The cheaper Cola brands work just as well as the expensive stuff, but after a good deal of experimenting I have found that Pepsi Max (much beloved of the night shifters) works really well so I'm not convinced by the conventional chemistry of conversion.

Give it a try on something disposable, you'll be amazed. ;)
May the light at the end of your long dark tunnel not be a train travelling the other way.

Joloke

#4 Post by Joloke » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:17 pm

Just curious what type of harpic?
just did an asda search and all that came out under Harpic was toilet blocks or toilet unblockers :(

Im assuming you mean good old fashioned hapic powder like scouring powder?

Can you still buy it?

spiderbloke

#5 Post by spiderbloke » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:25 pm

Wouldn't any bleach based additive work?
So many broken bits, So little time

M Paul Lloyd

#6 Post by M Paul Lloyd » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:01 pm

You need the Harpic liquid (well its more a thixotropic gel really) which, in its 'Power Plus' guise comes in a black plastic container Joloke and as far as I'm aware Harpic isn't 'bleach' based Spiderbloke.

The right tools (or chemicals) for the job. ;)

Oh and yes, you can still buy it. ;)
http://www.great4homes.co.uk/products/239503/

Joloke

#7 Post by Joloke » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:42 pm

Thanks ill have to remember that as you say the Black Bottled Harpic Power is easy to buy ;)
I guess deep down i envisaged needing an old type of harpic something akin to a Vim like Powder :?

Pepsi Max is often discounted too at our local asda so its all good :D

Dont currently have a classic or anything Rusty to Derust but i will give it a try when i get my next project ;)
I have used cheap Unbranded Vinegar in the past as a rust remover,that works well too :D

Jodie :)

Bollotti

#8 Post by Bollotti » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:43 pm

Is it any good for cleaning brake dust off alloy wheels? Or will the acid damage the alloy?

TerryG

#9 Post by TerryG » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:11 pm

I spray WD40 on brake dust then it just wipes off
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

M Paul Lloyd

#10 Post by M Paul Lloyd » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:19 pm

Yes vinegar also works Joloke, although it takes longer in my experience. Harpic Power Plus will remove rust if used on its own by the way, but it seems to 'de-nature' rather quickly and begins attacking the actual metal whereas the 'Coke' seems (but I have no actual evidence to support this) to alter the surface of the metal so this doesn't happen as much.
I have to say it is considerably cheaper, but just as good, as any branded rust remover.;)
Bollotti wrote:Is it any good for cleaning brake dust off alloy wheels? Or will the acid damage the alloy?
I wouldn't risk it if I were you, Terry seems to have it covered unless you mean that deeply engrained stuff that seems to defy any attempt to remove it. You might like to try using toothpaste as it has a very mild abrasive quality? ;)