Current Classic Market the bottom has dropped out :( ;)

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
Joloke

Current Classic Market the bottom has dropped out :( ;)

#1 Post by Joloke » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:12 pm

I as im sure most of us do reguarly check the likes of ebay,car and classic and various other outlets on the interweb to keep an eye on whats out there ;)

I have noticed of late (who hasnt) that the bottom seems to of well and truely fallen out of the market :(

This is very sad if you want to sell a classic :cry: but very good if you want to buy one :D

its obvious that this useless excuse for a coalition government are the reason for this :x

But i do have to say if your in the market for a Classic buy now whilst this bunch of untrained monkeys are in power and the economy is well and truely sunk :cry:

If you have a classic you want to sell personally i wouldnt though on the other hand what goes round comes round if you sell yours to buy another,true you will get far less than its worth but you can also then buy your next for much less than its worth :roll:

Bit like houses i guess prices are down but so will be the price of that new house you want to move to ;)

I myself am planning on getting a Mercedes W201 later in the year,i nearly bought one last month but pulled out realising the tax and MOT would both run out right on top of christmas :shock:

Im now glad i did as theres better cars now selling with less miles,better service history,longer tax and mot for less than the one i was going to buy :D

Should i be suspicious?

No not really if it was one ridiculously cheap car i would but theres dozens all around the same price its definately a buyers market at this time.

So what do others think?

This could bring new people into the hobby :D

On the other hand cherished cars could fall into the wrong hands :cry:

whatever way you look at it the bottom has most definately dropped out of the market at the moment.

Jodie :)

Willy Eckerslyke

Re: Current Classic Market the bottom has dropped out :( ;)

#2 Post by Willy Eckerslyke » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:43 pm

I hadn't noticed that at all. I suppose it depends what you're looking at, but prices for P6 Rovers seem to be climbing steadily. It no longer looks possible to get a useable one for under a grand, and quite a few very good examples have gone over 4K recently.

TriumphDriver

#3 Post by TriumphDriver » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:17 pm

and yet.. auction prices continue to rise.
One thing you can't deny, the market sorts out the real classics from the dross, no matter what people try to make us believe are desirable cars.
A quote from that venerable philosopher Max Headroom: Just because they're old doesn't mean they're good...
My posts are for debate and discussion, I'm not The Oracle!

stagman

#4 Post by stagman » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:24 pm

I would say that stuff in good condition is still getting good money but if it is at all average or worse they have gone down ?

SEE YA

#5 Post by SEE YA » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:44 pm

Well car show's seem to be still doing well look at the NEC one very busy.
However some cars for sale are still overpriced.
Plus traders prices as well, I went to Volksworld at the weekend. Most of the stuff was the same price as in the shops?.

I did however pay a bit more for my last classic five years ago than I wanted to at the time.
However it was the best one, I had seen by far, it still proves to be a good buy and gone up in value as well.

Its like most things what you think its worth, and what you get may not be the same come selling time.
EVERY MILE IS A SMILE

bnicho

#6 Post by bnicho » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:16 am

Down here the top end of the market seems to be booming but the bread-and-butter stuff from BMC, Ford, Holden etc that usually climbs steadily every year seems to have flattened out.

For example there are quite a lot of Minis and Mokes on eBay at the moment, but it's only the Coopers that seem to be selling.

I'm trying to sell my Corona to either buy a Mk1 Mini or sink the money from the sale into my Mini Traveller restoration. But I've had little interest in the Corona, where two years before I had unsolicited offesr almost equalling my asking price.
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

Joloke

#7 Post by Joloke » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:11 am

bnicho wrote:Down here the top end of the market seems to be booming but the bread-and-butter stuff from BMC, Ford, Holden etc that usually climbs steadily every year seems to have flattened out.

For example there are quite a lot of Minis and Mokes on eBay at the moment, but it's only the Coopers that seem to be selling.
Minis have really gone down in price over here since mini 50,you still get the odd dreamer who has a very tired car that wants 5 grand for it but on the other hand ive seen early mk1,s from 1960-61 selling for well under £2k :shock:

I think the truth of the matter is others here have said they havnt noticed it,true there are classics for sale commanding high premiums but are the sellers getting their asking prices?

Ive seen classics that before the economy went south could fetch £3-5k that owners are still selling for that but do they sell?

In a word no!

:cry:

The ones that are "too Expensive" keep appearing week after week,month after month at the same price but having had less and less use and the MOT getting shorter and shorter but the owners cant accept they wont get what they want for their car at this time based on the fact that theres no money around :cry:

Whichever way others see it i know im in a better possition as the car i want has dropped in price soo much that i can pay 50 % less than it was worth less than a year ago :D

And as i stated id be worried if it was the odd car id think it susspicious but theres dozens of them to choose from ;)

I also think if you want a large engined classic now is the time to buy as they are white elephants because of fuel costs as the UK Government are robbing us blind!!!

Add to that the way they keep moving the goalposts and all the tree hugger policys they are trying to impliment on us before too long they wont even let you have certain cars classic or not i can really see it comming :x :cry:

So have your fun whilst you can i say,often at bargain basement prices in this current economy.

Im guessing things aint as bad over in Aus at the mo as they are here in the UK the bunch of monkeys currently running our country seem intent in taking away any form of fun we have,before too long we will be getting taxed for passing wind :lol:

Better not give them any ideas hey :roll:

Jodie :)

tractorman

#8 Post by tractorman » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:38 am

Joloke, I fear that there are members of this forum that actually support the current government and see the previous bunch as a complete load of -- er -- I'll let them think of the word! I suspect this isn't the place to talk politics when there are other factors involved. Note I am not expressing my opinion on any political party here, just asking you politely to stick to facts about classic cars.

I have said for some time that it's easy to list a vehicle at a high price, but that doesn't mean they are all selling for that. My Fergy is on a web site and in a tractor magazine's classifieds with an asking price of £2,500. In immaculate condition and the right place in the country it would be worth £3000 and, TBH, I would be surprised if I got an offer, let alone somewhere near the asking price! However, that is what I think it is worth (going by the values in magazines) and won't sell it for peanuts. I can just about afford to keep it for a year, so why should I lower my price?

It is some time ago that PC itself reported that the market had improved for the better cars and was stagnant for the less than perfect stuff - well over a year ago if I remember correctly! It has certainly been so with the tractor market - the unusual and high quality machines have retained and, in some cases increased, their values and the common-or-garden Massey Ferguson or Ford have stayed at the same price for three or four years.

I wonder if scrappage caused a slump in the market? Perhaps that would be an area to consider??

astrocan

#9 Post by astrocan » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:07 pm

Surely it's nothing more complicated than supply and demand.
If you have a good quality classic people will pay more for it. Given the poor returns on savings at the moment I would guess that there are some people out there thinking that they may as well enjoy their money in something that will appreciate rather than leaving it in the trustworthy hands of a bank.

With less disposable income around there are fewer buyers prepared to pay over the odds for anything that is in need of some TLC.
The trick is to find something that is in need of enough TLC to bring the price down, but not so much that you have to spend weeks with a socket set and welder trying to bring it up to scratch.

I had to sell a much loved motorbike when my missus announced the impending arrival of sprog #1. It hacked me off at the time but a couple of years ago he and his brother bought a very good BMW E28 with their paper round money and need someone to keep it rolling for them :D . What goes around, comes around and the best bargains are from sellers who HAVE to sell, it ain't exactly nice but their time will come.
Joloke wrote: before too long we will be getting taxed for passing wind :lol:
That will make the Channel Islands and Cayman Islands smellier than they already are then.

SEE YA

#10 Post by SEE YA » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:16 pm

My dream is for my wife and I to pass our classic to out two kids. :D

We will have our vw camper by then, and maybe another classic. Our plan go around Europe, and have some fun while we still have a pulse. ;)
EVERY MILE IS A SMILE