ford galaxy

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
rich.

Re: ford galaxy

#71 Post by rich. » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:18 pm

hmm what do i need?? something big enough to carry all the stuff we need for 2 kids 2 adults& a jack russel, cheap to buy and run and thats reliable. also needs to be good for very very long and boring motorway trips....

hobby

#72 Post by hobby » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:36 pm

Unless you've got a limitless supply of money then for the above (long motorway drives) a conventional estate gives far better mpg than any of the MPVs, so that's worth bearing in mind as well... Forget the Gov mpg figures, they give no indication of the horrendous fall-off in mpg the MPVs (and 4x4s) give when travelling at motorway speeds compared with conventional cars/estates...

rich.

#73 Post by rich. » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:33 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
limitless supply of money :lol: me!! i cant even afford the bald tyres on a mini.... so fuel consumption is critical, wifey does around 15000 km a year.. with my van & tipper which are real alcoholics i have to be carefull..

TerryG

#74 Post by TerryG » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:35 pm

2.0 Mondeo diesel estate, 44mpg on a run with a boot full of junk and 5 adults. I have had to hire one a few times and they are just as nice to drive as a focus but LOADS more room. They are pretty cheap to buy used but remember when you want to sell it on, it will be worth very little.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

hobby

#75 Post by hobby » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:09 pm

Then I'd avoid MPVs and 4x4s, Rich, at motorway speeds they guzzle fuel compared with an estate like the Mondeo or Vectra...

rich.

#76 Post by rich. » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:39 pm

galaxy does about 44 mpg on the motorway a bit less around town etc, wifey wants me to get rid of mr2 & buy a ford ka (we had one before & it was a good little car) suggested my dream car but she thinks thats just wierd..

rich.

#77 Post by rich. » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:07 pm

new waterpump fitted with all new bits, new pump has a better seal than the old one but we shall see how it goes, thankfully i had a spare belt & tensioner kit which saved me €200 but the new pump & fitting cost me €200 & with the cat costing us a fortune at the vets we are now skint :D

richardtaylor

#78 Post by richardtaylor » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:39 am

I would concur - Mondeo Estate would be a great choice. Big, reliable and good to drive.Mazda 6 est?

Mazda 6
Had a Mazda 6 saloon as a company car a few years ago and it was pretty damn good, for a modern - worth a look

Wild card - Saab 95 estate?

Had two, loved them. Go for 2.3 lpt: Quick, well equiped, pretty reliable (bar an appetite for rr shocks but there a doddle to change), not to bad on fuel: however check for regular oil and filter changes with fully synthetic oil or the turbos go at abot 120k . Avoid the larger diesel engine - throws liners at vast cost to repair

rich.

#79 Post by rich. » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:48 am

just failed its ct (mot) the front suspension is out of balance? only had the whole lot changed 10 months ago... off to see the garage that did the work...
just no luck with this car at all

TerryG

#80 Post by TerryG » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:47 am

Sounds like the French are revolting (hehe) about having an Englishman in their garage ;)
You should sell it and make yourself a Micra limo to go with your Micra tipper.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.