RIP Jon Lord

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
TerryG

RIP Jon Lord

#1 Post by TerryG » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:00 pm

Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

Maaarrghk

Re: RIP Jon Lord

#2 Post by Maaarrghk » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:05 am

I'm a bit grumpy about that.

Richard Moss

#3 Post by Richard Moss » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:41 am

Smoke On The Water has been my mobile phone ring tone for many, many years, and my 10 year old daughter loves the song. RIP

TerryG

#4 Post by TerryG » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:46 am

I think smoke on the water (or at least the intro) is the first thing anybody learns to play on the Guitar. He is a legend and will be missed by millions!
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

Martin Evans

#5 Post by Martin Evans » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:08 am

I confess that whilst I had heard of Deep Purple, I wasn't familiar with the members of it. It does make you realise how time passes, when you see people like this, Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney in the their seventies :shock: :!: Whilst getting older beats the alternative, it is still sad to see this happening and sometimes I wonder where the last twenty years have gone. Then I remember my late grandfather telling me that ninety years didn't seem long when he looked back on it :!:

In 1984, just before I bought the Midget, I went to Silverstone for the first time (In my old Mini). It was to an MG Car Club event and I saw and photographed (Polaroid - does anyone use film anymore?) and nice MG TC. It seemed like an old car at the time, yet my Midget is now not far off as old as the TC was, the V8 is practically as old and the Morris is older.
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

richardtaylor

#6 Post by richardtaylor » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:36 pm

I was lucky enough to have seen him perform live both with the mighty 'Snake and in one of the Deep Purple re-incarnations in the late 80's prior to Blackmore walking out.

Sadly the greatest blues guitarist ever, IMHO, Gary Moore also died a few months back - not a great year so far then!!

mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

#7 Post by mr rusty » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:07 am

Richie Blackmore worked with Joe Meek and Heinz Burt.....so he is officially ancient!Age does get to them- one of my favourite old axemen, Leslie West, lost a leg to diabetes last year, and the totally awesome and unique Dick Dale is now 75 and having fought off rectal cancer is playing harder and faster than anyone else.
It's amazing how musical time passes- I suppose it's because music can fix you in time: for the record Ian Dury has been dead 12 years, and Kurt Cobain and Lee Brilleaux have both been dead 18 years! Makes me feel old...............
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

Maaarrghk

#8 Post by Maaarrghk » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:32 pm

"New Boots and Panties" What an album!

Blackmoors walked out of Deep Purple? Surely not!

junkyarddog

#9 Post by junkyarddog » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:47 pm

richardtaylor wrote:
Sadly the greatest blues guitarist ever, IMHO, Gary Moore also died a few months back -
I always thought the other Irish blues guitarist Rory Gallagher was better than Moore,
IMHO of course :) ,
but it's a mute point seeing as they have both passed on :( ,
but what a musical legacy they have left behind :D .

If there is an afterlife,you can bet the place is rockin'.

Maaarrghk

#10 Post by Maaarrghk » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:24 am

Especially with John Martyn there too.